chose to set up my workshop in the quaint little town called Dunham,
in the Eastern Townships, where nature had already painted a
wonderful landscape blessed with vineyards and
I derive inspiration for
shapes and colors from the surrounding hills and valleys.
My passion is attuned to the bucolic rhythms and scents in this magnificent scenery.
Come and share with me some precious moments of beauty and friendship... You may even find love and happiness.....
YOU WILL FIND LOVE,
FRIENDSHIP AND BEAUTY."
- Born in 1934, in a Montreal family where art and culture were highly valued, Jean began to draw at a very early age.
- Classical studies at Le Collège de l’Assomption were followed by applied art courses at l’École des Arts Appliqués.
- Jean got his first job at Radio-Canada in 1957, as a stage-effects designer, but the producers’ strike of 1959 forced him to leave and seek a new career in education.
- For 33 years, Jean worked as a dedicated teacher, assistant-principal and principal, without losing touch with the world of artistic creation and production.
- In 1987, he returned to the artistic path with a rigorous program of studies, attending four watercolour workshops with Ming Ma s.c.a., and taking courses with Rita Briansky and Claude Paquette at the Saïdye Bronfman’s Art Center.
- Since 1995, he has participated in numerous group and solo art exhibitions and symposia, while working on large murals and other ornamental paintings for various private companies. During this period , in his quest for excellence, Jean still found time to keep on studying with Nicole Foreman s.c.a., Roland Palmaerts s.c.a. and Diane Boilard s.c.a. all internationally known watercolour artists. He also attended workshops in U.S.A., with Mel Stabin AWS, TWSA, and Eric Wiegardt AWS, NWS,.
- Since 2001 till 2006, Jean’s different watercolour paintings were awarded by le concours du « Cercle des Artistes Peintres et Sculpteurs du Québec ».
- In April 2003, « Canadian Watercolour Society Exhibition » earned him the « Technical Achievement Award » for his painting « Pot-pourri ».
- In August 2003, Jean was one of only three Canadian watercolour artists invited with 104 American painters by the « Adirondack National Exhibition of American Watercolors »; his painting : « Flower Power ».
- Recent recognition of his talent by the Canadian Watercolour Society as a lifetime signature member, will encourage Jean to produce more and more original work and find new ways to express the strength of his feelings.